Illustration Friday: Highlight

30 Dec

IllusFriday20111230_HighlightThanks to everyone who graciously provided feedback or just took the time to view my work in 2011.  I continue to welcome your comments and wish you a Happy New Year for 2012!

Copyright ©2011.  Adrienne May and WinsomeWays, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.

23 Responses to “Illustration Friday: Highlight”

1. TMartin Friday,Dec 30, 2011 at 5:45 PM #

Beautiful! Such delicate rendering. I was hoping I could enlarge it to get a closer look, but it seems not to be doing that.

2. Adrienne May Friday,Dec 30, 2011 at 6:09 PM #

@TMartin: Thank you very much. It is very encouraging to receive appreciative comments.

You are right, the image will not display at a larger size. I shaded the roses by using various Rapidograph nib sizes and black ink on Canson C a grain drawing paper. The black background is ‘Fill’ color on a separate Photoshop layer.

3. Patricia Rhodes Christensen Friday,Dec 30, 2011 at 7:10 PM #

Exquisite roses! Such skill and patience you have! Very effective light & shadow…

4. Linda Hensley Saturday,Dec 31, 2011 at 9:03 AM #

Lovely! I appreciate your sensitive touch. You must have a lot of patience. Happy New Year!

5. Rod Saturday,Dec 31, 2011 at 10:17 AM #

Really good ink work..glad you shared your tools with us…happy 2012!!!

• Adrienne May Sunday,Jan 1, 2012 at 3:17 PM #

@Linda: Thank you very much. Stippling lets me indulgence in some productive obsessive / compulsive behavior. It’s relaxing, but you’re right about it taking a lot of time. I look forward to visiting your blog in 2012. Happy New Year!

@Rod: I hope sharing my process is helpful to others. Thanks for visiting and happy 2012!

6. Abby Saturday,Dec 31, 2011 at 5:38 PM #

Gorgeous! Who knew monochrome roses could look so good?! Happy New Year!

• Adrienne May Saturday,Dec 31, 2011 at 6:39 PM #

@Abby: Glad you liked the roses. Thanks to your blog about running, I actually walked 3 miles yesterday. I don’t think I’ve done that since last summer. Who knows what 2012 will bring? 🙂

7. illustrationjunky Monday,Jan 2, 2012 at 10:55 AM #

Beautiful, the roses pop so well against the black…great detail!

• Adrienne May Monday,Jan 2, 2012 at 12:06 PM #

Hello Kerie. Thanks for dropping by and I hope you will be a regular visitor in 2012. Best wishes to you with your new blog.

8. jack foster Monday,Jan 2, 2012 at 12:58 PM #

Wow! This is so beautiful Adrienne! I love the contrasts and detail. Your messenger post is absolutely gorgeous! Glad I scrolled down your blog. I love it! Happy New Year!

• Adrienne May Monday,Jan 2, 2012 at 2:04 PM #

Thanks so much Jack. I glad you found my blog also and that you liked the angel (Messenger post) and this week’s roses. I’ve enjoyed my visits to your blogs as well, including Mr. Biblehead. I hope to see more of your work, and happy 2012!

9. elenacaravela Monday,Jan 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM #

Very lovely highlights. Beautifully rendered.

• Adrienne May Monday,Jan 2, 2012 at 1:57 PM #

@Elena: It’s always great to hear from you. Congratulations on your Versatile Blogger award — great finish to 2011.
      I did not see an IF piece from you for ‘Highlight’ but I am curious about the Pause images on your blog. What’s the story behind them? Are they related to the ‘Press Pause’ anthology of essays by women writers?
      Happy 2012!

10. davidjernigan Monday,Jan 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM #

Adrienne May,
    Nice details on your rose illustration. Thanks for taking a look at my blog. Like the highlights in your drawing!

11. Nina Mata Tuesday,Jan 3, 2012 at 1:17 AM #

what a gorgeous pair of roses!!!

12. Adrienne May Tuesday,Jan 3, 2012 at 12:47 PM #

@Nina Mata & David Jernigan: Thank you both for visiting my blog and leaving comments. I appreciate your kind words.

13. Helga Pearson Friday,Jan 6, 2012 at 8:03 AM #

I somehow missed this post! This is so fantastic and our technique is gorgeous. Well done Adrienne and all I can say is – More, more, more! 😀

• Adrienne May Friday,Jan 6, 2012 at 8:26 AM #

Thank you for your constant encouragement not only to me but to all the Wannabe Illustrator tribe :-).

14. Helga Pearson Friday,Jan 6, 2012 at 10:23 AM #

I’ve been looking for my ‘tribe’ nearly my whole life. Now that I feel I’ve finally found my people, I just can’t help sharing the love! We share a dream and so it makes sense that we support and encourage one another along the way. Besides, your work is awesome, it’s not like it’s hard work to be enthusiastic! lol.

• Adrienne May Friday,Jan 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM #

You are very kind. I agree about finding the right ‘tribe.’ We are fortunate to have found people who share an interest in illustration.

15. Fergiemoto Thursday,Jan 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM #

Beautiful sketch!

• Adrienne May Thursday,Jan 19, 2012 at 4:41 PM #

Thanks for taking a look at my submission for the IF: Highlight topic. I hope you will visit my blog again.