Illustration Friday: Grounded

10 Jan

IllusFriday20120106_GroundedHere is my Illustration Friday submission for the topic ‘Grounded.’   This is my first watercolor submission — a player diving to catch a grounded ball.

IllusFriday20120106_Grounded_BEGIN

I thought it would be interesting to show an early stage and the final version. I hope you like them.  This image is also posted on my website WinsomeWays.com.  Thanks for visiting and please leave a comment.

Copyright ©2012.
Adrienne May and WinsomeWays, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

21 Responses to “Illustration Friday: Grounded”

1. dosankodebbie Wednesday,Jan 11, 2012 at 4:08 AM #

The idea of a grounded ball never occurred to me. Nice perspective!

• Adrienne May Wednesday,Jan 11, 2012 at 10:28 AM #

@dosankodebbie: Thank you for your encouragement. Usually I do pen and ink for IF. On this image I was concerned about the perspective but glad it’s working for you. I think I’ll work on this some more, adding a cast shadow beneath the ball and figure.

2. Dave Weiss Wednesday,Jan 11, 2012 at 8:18 AM #

Very nice! I love the expression on the face and the motion in the piece.

• Adrienne May Wednesday,Jan 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM #

@amokarts: Thank you for your compliments regarding the facial expression and the motion of the image. They’re very much appreciated.

3. Patricia Rhodes Christensen Wednesday,Jan 11, 2012 at 12:26 PM #

Very nice action-filed painting! Fresh approach to the ‘grounded’ prompt! Colorful & clean watercolor technique…

• Adrienne May Wednesday,Jan 11, 2012 at 12:42 PM #

Thanks Patricia. I hope to do more IF posts in watercolor.

4. Abby Wednesday,Jan 11, 2012 at 3:35 PM #

Great idea! Very nice job getting the colors and details, and I really like how you cropped the action!

• Adrienne May Wednesday,Jan 11, 2012 at 4:22 PM #

Thanks for checking in Abby, and the encouragement.

5. illustrationjunky Thursday,Jan 12, 2012 at 3:35 PM #

Looks great, the colors are clean, bright and your fabric looks good. Nice job!

• Adrienne May Thursday,Jan 12, 2012 at 4:58 PM #

Thanks! I really enjoyed doing a watercolor for IF.

6. helgapearson Friday,Jan 13, 2012 at 8:08 AM #

Love it Adrienne, you have a fabulous watercolour technique. The cropping DOES make it a really strong composition. I would love to get back to doing Illustration Friday but I feel like I’ve just got so much to get on with I can’t make space!

• Adrienne May Friday,Jan 13, 2012 at 8:52 AM #

Thanks very much Helga. I love watercolor, but there is always so much more to master.

I know exactly how you feel — so much to do, so little time. I have that feeling about 12×12. No way for me to start “a PB a month” before the end of January, so I’ll miss their deadline :-(. I know I can jump in beginning February, but it’s not the same as doing the whole project from the beginning. Oh well, I’ll keep plugging along and join you guys for February.

7. Janet Friday,Jan 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM #

Great illustration, found your site by accident, what a nice accident.
    Blessing Janet

• Adrienne May Friday,Jan 13, 2012 at 4:08 PM #

Thanks Janet. I’m flattered to be regarded as serendipitous. I hope you plan to return from time to time. All the best to you!

8. davidjernigan Monday,Jan 16, 2012 at 5:15 AM #

Adrienne May,
    Good colors and details. Nice watercolor technique. As I’m sure you know, watercolors can be a tricky art media to work in.

• Adrienne May Monday,Jan 16, 2012 at 8:40 AM #

Hello David,
      Glad you dropped by my blog again. Yes, watercolors can be tricky at times so thanks for you compliments on my technique. Watercolors are truly “hurry up and wait.” 🙂 However the colors can be so vibrant, it’s worth the drama. I checked out your hiker with raccoons for “Prepare.” Very nice color work.

• davidjernigan Wednesday,Jan 18, 2012 at 1:48 AM #

Thanks for taking a look at my illustration. Watercolors can be unforgiving , but as you wrote, the colors are very vibrant. I also think it is worth the drama.

9. janetmcd Friday,Jan 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM #

Well done. Clever idea!

10. Neeti Sunday,Jan 22, 2012 at 2:47 AM #

Lovely illustration…fine details. Wish i could make something like this!

• Adrienne May Sunday,Jan 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM #

Thank you very much Neeti. I hope to see more of your work, and again congratulations!