Sketchbook Pages: Picturebook Scenes

15 Mar

Here are some scenes I’m working on currently. The first is a drawing which is almost ready to have color added. The second is about half way through the coloring stage.

SketchbookPage_DF2

SketchbookPage_Kayla_bedroom01A

I would appreciate feedback regarding time of day. In particular does either image convey the feeling of a time of day? Second, what is your impression of the ages of the girls? The images are for different stories so there is no narrative connection.

Thank you for visiting and for your comments!

Copyright ©2014.
Adrienne May and WinsomeWays, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

6 Responses to “Sketchbook Pages: Picturebook Scenes”

1. MeganHerbert Monday,Mar 24, 2014 at 6:48 AM #

Lovely work, Adrienne. I get a distinct night feeling from the second one, but not too sure what time of day the first one is… unless the little girl’s grumpiness is supposed to indicate that she’s jsut waking up in the morning. 😉 She looks about 6-ish to me.
    Perhaps a few added shadows in the coloured one would add to the night feeling? You’ve got a warm light glow coming from outside the bedroom door, but no dark shadowy spots in the room as would be the case if the lamp and the light from the hall are the only sources of light.

• Adrienne May Monday,Mar 24, 2014 at 10:34 AM #

Your comments are very helpful and spotlight issues I can address in both images. Thanks Megan!

2. Robyn Campbell (@authorswrite) Monday,Mar 24, 2014 at 12:05 PM #

Love your illustrations. For the first one, I think she’s just waking up and getting ready to go to school (hence the mad face). I’d say she’s 5-6 years-old.

The second one is at night time and probably time to get ready for bed. I’d say she’s 5-6 also. I love looking at your art.

• Adrienne May Monday,Mar 24, 2014 at 1:05 PM #

It is gratifying that you like my illustrations Robyn. I appreciate your comments about the girls ages and the overall meaning of the images. It really helps to know if others see what we see in our work. Thank you!

3. Yintuitions Saturday,Mar 29, 2014 at 8:40 AM #

As always, I love your drawings! Both girls look four or five to me. The second one may be younger, maybe three? The second one is at night but the first I can’t tell. The first child’s face could be cuter, she looks sort of upset though maybe that is appropriate to the plot but I’d try to give her more childlike charm. Also if I assume that the second child is in the guest bedroom, but the first child seems to be in her own room. If this is the case, I’d give the room more personality like maybe a few stuffed animals and a cute bedspread. If it makes sense for the story I’d add details to her clothes too.

• Adrienne May Saturday,Mar 29, 2014 at 2:36 PM #

Thank you Amanda. You’ve given me several things to consider, and I will!